Your place to ask questions that there aren't time for during courses, and continue your training after your course is over. Aside from answering questions I will talk about different range drills, firearms tips and techniques, maintaining a defensive mindset, and firearms reviews.

Monday, April 9, 2012

An introductory post

I envision this blog to be a place that our students can continue gaining knowledge outside of the classroom, as a continuing service from us, to law abiding gun owners.  If you have questions that we didn't have time for during a course, something you think of later, or just want to talk about firearms, this is the place where you can do it.  I am not a lawyer, and will not discuss the legal aspects of using a firearm for defense, but other firearms related topics are welcome.  From firearm and ammo selection, to what kinds of holsters work best, ideas for how to conceal your handgun, to the fundamentals of shooting, and a myriad of other topics.  I hope to have new blog posts on a regular basis, so if you have a question, feel free to ask.

So, who am I, and what qualifies me to answer questions?  First of all, I don't claim to be an expert that knows everything about firearms.  There is far more information out there than one person can amass in a lifetime, so first and foremost, I am still a student as well.  I am still constantly seeking new information on new firearms and techniques, attending training courses for myself, and finding new ways to challenge myself to become a better shooter.

I started shooting when I was fifteen years old.  My family was on vacation and I had the chance to do some skeet shooting on the resort.  From the first time I pulled the trigger on that Browning over-under shotgun and sent a Fiocchi target load down-range, I was hooked.  I then branched out from just shotguns and started shooting .22 rifles, then center-fire rifles, and handguns.  I shot whenever possible, and was always looking for new firearms to try out, trying to expand both my skills and knowledge base.  Then a few years ago I joined the Marine Corps where I served in the infantry, which really expanded the types of firearms that I could fire, and the ways in which I could employ them.  I got the chance to fire most of the infantry weapons in the Marine arsenal, from the M-16, to .50 caliber machine guns, and 40mm grenade launchers.  I did two deployments while in the Marines, one each to Iraq and Afghanistan during the Global War on Terrorism.

After the Marines I attended NRA instructor courses, and currently hold ratings in rifle as pistol, as well as being a range safety officer.  Although I am currently working on adding more ratings so that I can instruct courses in other disciplines.

So, for the past decade and more, firearms have played a large roll in my life, and are a hobby and sport that I thoroughly enjoy.  I now really enjoy having the opportunity to teach people how to safely and responsibly shoot firearms, and to share my enjoyment of the shooting sports with them.  My tastes in firearms generally focus more on defense-centered skills than  precision target skills, although I am always willing to expand my horizons and try new types of shooting.

I hope that answered some questions about why I started this blog, and why I enjoy teaching others about firearms so much, and some of my qualifications to do so.  If you have any feedback or questions, please, feel free to contact me.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment